31 August 2016

SHAVED CAULIFLOWER SALAD

We relaxed on the sofa throughout the day on the first. No fresh morning run and green juice to take after. No, we simply laid there, me nestled into color and yoga pants, you in the wool with the pink stain on the pocket from where your sharpie blasted in the spring. We requested awful pizza and viewed the new Bourne flick until it got dim and the streetlights out front turned on. You took a gander at me and went after my hand at one point with another look, one I haven’t seen you wear some time recently, it said oh my goodness what-a-cracking year. I felt the same thing however didn’t say anything. I grasped your hand and grinned. What a cracking year was correct.
This photo has been the screen saver on my telephone since it was taken in January of a year ago. We were home for my vacation break and everything that remained before us appeared blasting and splendid, though totally vague. I had one semester of school left and we proposed to encourage a couple of more pooches, run a couple triathalons, and move. Move some place. Anyplace. Far from California, ideally, yet we weren’t exacting yet. You needed snow, and I needed fascinating individuals. We were both steadfast by any of it until the spring. Poop. You mean we really need to choose, now? New York, Denver, DC? I met in Brooklyn while you shot Sprout and we did the math. I needed the occupation, however loathed the city. Flying home I attempted to summon each ounce of knowledge Paulo Coelho or Mary Oliver or Oprah would guarantee me I had inside to turn our sails the correct way.



May came brisk. I didn’t land the position in Brooklyn, thankfully, and DC got put on the rack for some other time. I passed French 3 and walked to Pomp and Circumstance wearing a top without a decoration or perpetual location. We said farewell to the sea the following morning and hit the street. Gold country first. Enormous fish. Profound thoughtfulness. Hours of Mexican train dominos and the absolute best organization. I didn’t know I could love such a great amount outside of my own family until your grandparents. I sold my auto and we stayed outdoors along I-80 until a punctured tire stopped us before the duplex in Denver that we now call home. You assembled me a patio nursery, I found out about marmots and bears, mountains and height turned into our new dependence. We made quick companions. You voyaged a considerable measure for work, I missed you unpleasantly.

May came brisk. I didn’t land the position in Brooklyn, thankfully, and DC got put on the rack for some other time. I passed French 3 and walked to Pomp and Circumstance wearing a top without a decoration or perpetual location. We said farewell to the sea the following morning and hit the street. Gold country first. Enormous fish. Profound thoughtfulness. Hours of Mexican train dominos and the absolute best organization. I didn’t know I could love such a great amount outside of my own family until your grandparents. I sold my auto and we stayed outdoors along I-80 until a punctured tire stopped us before the duplex in Denver that we now call home. You assembled me a patio nursery, I found out about marmots and bears, mountains and height turned into our new dependence. We made quick companions. You voyaged a considerable measure for work, I missed you unpleasantly.
Toward the end of the late spring I got a “genuine” occupation and things changed, once more, as they do. Without precedent for my life I comprehended what depletion looked and felt like — you recognized it clearly and in my separation. In the entrails of everything I met individuals, saw things, felt things that I didn’t know myself skilled. Things were hard. It felt like somebody took our little snow globe and stuck it to the roof, everything looked deformed and in reverse and we held each other topsy turvy like that, so tight, stunned, staggered by it all. We were both free and caught. Upbeat, yet frightened. Splendid peered toward and rankled. There were mornings like the one after the main snow, we kept running far and quick, peacefully, our legs red and tingly from the frosty, or that night of the Ben Howard show where I thought about whether I was getting nearer to or significantly assist from myself, nearer to or encourage far from you. It was a free fall. We settled on sketchy decisions, talked imperative truths, and hung on for dear life as the time and place tried all that we were, are, and will be.

I took a gander at the photo of us today, the one on my screen saver of you and me and Buddy, an entire year later, a year more established and more grounded, and see the best parts of everything. We were so cheerful. So darn sure that in spite of the hardship, anguish, and the sensational changes that lay before us, our affection would kick everything in the jeans. I take a gander at that photo and I need to do a reversal and tell those two children that, better believe it, it’s going to be an insane street, CRAZY TOWN, however continue trusting, continue onward, in light of the fact that your adoration will kick life in the jeans and think about what, IT TOTALLY DID. Sitting on the yellow love seat with you eating pizza a year later, after seven years, truly, I’m so happy we delayed our resolutions a day to simply express appreciation. We made it. It was our hardest and greatest year. For all the undeniable and mystery reasons I cherish you. I cherish you to such an extent. I adore what we do, I cherish what we trust, I cherish how fucking hard we function to make this relationship right. Here’s to you and to 2016 :). Here’s to the mountains we’ve climbed and the numerous more before us. We have this.



Made a little money playing in the bars
With two beat up drums and two old guitars
From the Crescent City to the Great Salt Lake
It ain’t what you got, it’s what you make
 
When the road got rough and the wheels all broke
Couldn’t take more then we could tow
Making something out of nothing with a scratcher and our hope
With two old guitars like a shovel and a rope
 
Rock of Ages, cleave for me
Let me hide myself in Thee
Now I understand
On better terms since Birmingham



Shaved Cauliflower Salad 
  • 1/2 head of a large cauliflower
  • 1 medium sized radicchio, cored
  • 6 inner celery stalks with leaves
  • 1/4 cup chives
  • 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup honey glazed walnuts
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • Juice of 1 orange
  • 1 tsp water
  • 4-5 medjool dates, pitted
  • salt/pepper

Break out your mandoline and shave the cauliflower as thin as the setting allows. Shave the radicchio by hand with a sharp knife. Place in a mixing bowl. Remove celery leaves and toss into the bowl. Cut the remaining stalks into thin matchsticks and add to the mix. Add parsley leaves and chopped chives.
For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a high-powered blender and puree until smooth. Mix with the veggies and add lemon zest or more citrus juice and salt to your liking.
For the walnuts, preheat the oven to 350.’ Massage walnuts with honey and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10 + minutes or until just toasty. Comine with salad mixture and serve at room temperature.


Related Posts

0 yorum: